Job Title: Tunnel Engineer
Reporting to: Senior Tunnel Engineer
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Toronto / GTA; Eligible to work in Canada
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation has a record of delivering high quality and innovative tunnel design solutions for public and private underground infrastructure. We deliver under tight programme controls by working efficiently with highly qualified and motivated team members.
Purpose of the role:
The Tunnel Engineer is an integral part of the tunnel design and engineering team and is required to carry out several diverse engineering tasks, supporting the Senior Tunnel Engineer and working with peers and CAD resources.
Responsibilities and duties:
The Tunnel Engineer will be responsible for producing design documentation such as technical reports, notes, calculations and CAD files as well as producing accurate reports and designs supporting the team leader. The principle duties are:
- Timely production of key design deliverables, drawings, reports, risk assessments, notes and analyses.
- Working to pre-set timeframes with supervision from various team members.
- Empirical tunnel design and settlement assessment analysis.
- Carrying out Finite Element Analyses using Phase 2 (2D) and Abaqus (3D) software.
- Carrying out hydromechanics and soil mechanics analysis and design.
- Development of construction processes and logistic planning such as excavation sequences.
- Impact assessment on existing subsurface and surface structures.
- Supporting the Senior Tunnel Engineer in managerial tasks such as resource schedules, design programme, staff planning and assurance processes.
- Working on construction sites in a supervisory function, producing construction documentation and communicating the design intent to the construction team
- Participate and embrace Dr. G. Sauer & Partners quality control procedures such as ISO 9001:2015 and the Quality Management Plan.
Qualifications and Experience required:
- Master’s Degree in civil engineering or similar.
- Working experience of at two tunnel design and /or supervision and construction projects.
- Thorough knowledge of the structural design of tunnels and a high-level understanding of geotechnical engineering.
- Experience of FE Analyses, calculation reports and production of design packages.
- Excellent English and French language, representation, organisation and communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of 2D [Phase2] and 3D [Abaqus, Plaxis] FE software and drawing production in AutoCAD and/or Microstation
Qualifications and Experience advantageous:
- Experience on national (Canadian) Tunnelling projects
- Experience in SEM/NATM design and/or construction
- Experience in Live Cycle Design
- Experience in Tunnel Inspection and Repair measures
- P.Eng licence or licence in process
Please submit your application and resume to our Washington Office: