Dr. Sauer & Partners Ltd has a record of delivering high quality and innovative tunnel design solutions. We work efficiently with highly qualified and motivated team members.
Purpose of the role:
The Tunnel Engineer is an integral part of the SCL design team and is required to carry out a number of diverse engineering tasks, supporting the Senior Tunnel Engineer and working with peers and CAD resources.
Responsibilities and duties:
The Tunnel Engineer will be responsible for producing design documentation such as technical reports, notes, calculations and CAD files as well as producing accurate reports and designs supporting the team leader.
The principal duties are:
- Timely production of key design deliverables, drawings, reports, risk assessments, notes and analyses.
- Working to pre-set timeframes with supervision from various team members.
- Empirical tunnel design and settlement assessment analysis.
- Carrying out Finite Element Analyses using Phase 2 (2D) and Abaqus (3D) software.
- Carrying out hydromechanics and soil mechanics analysis and design.
- Development of excavation and support sequences.
- Impact assessment on existing subsurface and surface structures.
- Supporting the Senior Tunnel Engineer in managerial tasks such as resource schedules, design programme, staff planning, time sheet submissions and assurance processes.
- Participate, embrace and adhere to Dr Sauer & Partners‘ quality control procedures such as ISO 9001:2015 and the Project Management Plan.
- Ability to analyse and solve problems
- Ability to use own initiative to organise daily workload
- Strong teamwork skills to work co-operatively with diverse teams both internally and externally
Qualifications and Experience required:
- Masters Degree in Civil Engineering or similar.
- Working experience of at least two SCL/NATM tunnel design projects.
- Thorough knowledge of the structural design of tunnels and a high level understanding of geotechnical engineering.
- Experience of empirical analyses, calculations, report and specification writing, design presentations
- Management, production and submission of individual design packages.
- Excellent knowledge of 2D [Phase2] and 3D [Abaqus, Plaxis] FE software
- Solid knowledge in drawing production in Microstation and/or AutoCAD.
- Excellent English language, representation, organisation and communication skills.
Please submit your application and resume to our London office: