Job Title: Tunnel Engineering Technician
Reporting to: CAD Manager, Design Manager
Hours: Up to 44hrs per week
Location: Toronto, ON
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners (DSP) has a significant portfolio of high-profile tunnel design and supervision projects across North America. Currently, the company is involved on multiple underground construction projects within the Greater Toronto Area working as technical advisor to the owner (i.e. Metrolinx/Infrastructure Ontario) as well as engineering support for construction joint venture teams. Dr. G. Sauer & Partners has a record of delivering high quality and innovative design solutions under tight programme controls by working efficiently with highly qualified and motivated team members. Additionally, international projects are executed by local sister companies and thus Dr. G. Sauer & Partners can provide long-term national and international career opportunities.
Purpose of the role:
This is a developmental role and an opportunity to gain widespread expertise within our business, with the ultimate goal of building a long-term career with Dr. G. Sauer and Partners in the tunnelling industry. The goal is for the candidate to develop into an important link between analytical design, construction engineering and graphical production based on a solid engineering foundation and a talent for design presentation and visualisation. The Tunnel Engineering Technician will be involved in and ultimately responsible for the timely production of 2D design drawings and 3D CAD modelling for key tunnelling projects.
- Build and develop skills and confidence around tunnelling specific graphical and visualisation solutions using Bentley software.
- Create and edit 2D and 3D graphical models accurately and efficiently according to project BIM / CAD manuals, design requirements and specific project agreements.
- Ensure graphical models have the appropriate attributes captured correctly.
- Produce 2D and 3D based on engineer’s input such as sketches, schedules and reports.
- Develop additional tunnel engineering knowledge and skills to be able to communicate engineering solutions in graphical terms.
Required skills and expertise:
- Sound knowledge of engineering design procedures and principles.
- Good understanding of and a keen interest in civil engineering works, including tunnelling.
- Good problem-solving skills and willingness to be trained 'on the job'.
- Good visual-spatial ability and willingness to develop further skills in graphical display and engineering.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and ability to manage workload and meet deadlines.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail and quality.
- Recent graduate from a Bachelor of Engineering or Technology Program (Civil/Structural preferred).
- High proficiency with 3D AutoCAD and/or Revit and/or MicroStation and/or Open Buildings Designer, ideally demonstrated by a portfolio of work.
- Interest in a long-term career in tunnel engineering, with a goal to pursue further engineering and graphical design education to potentially achieve a P. Eng. designation.
- MUST be eligible to work in Canada. Candidates without a valid work permit will not be considered.
- Extended Health Care
- Group Retirement Plan
- 15 vacation days and 10 personal days
- Permanent, full-time position
- Start: Immediately
- Remote interview process
- When working in Office:
- Personal protective equipment provided when required.
- Social distancing guidelines in place.
- Virtual meetings.
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place.
- When working from home:
- During COVID-19 working from home opportunities will be followed.
- Necessary hardware and software will be provided by the company.
Please submit your application and resume to our Toronto office:
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees.